POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : heightfield height : Re: heightfield height Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: heightfield height
From: Chris B
Date: 19 Apr 2006 17:31:07
Message: <4446ac1b$1@news.povray.org>
"trulayne" <tru### [at] newrrcom> wrote in message
>I am in the process of building a landscape.  I am using a USGS Dem image
>for my heightfield. I there an easier way to determine the "y" value
>knowing the "x" and "z" other than trial and error? Some objects are
>fencelines built from spline curves. With the number of points needed for
>these curves, the job becomes time intensive doing it by trial and error.
> Thanks in advance, Dennis

Hi Dennis,

You can use the 'trace' vector function to find a point on a surface. In
this case you would use it to shoot a ray straight downwards to intercept
the surface and return the coordinates of the point on the surface.

Alternatively I think you should be able to use the 'eval_pigment'
predefined function on the image to pick up the color and work out the
elevation from that.

Regards,
Chris B.